Luctor et Emergo

by Tink

Prince's Ginseng that isn't a Ginseng

Saturday, January 23, 2010 0 comments

I started adding Chinese herbal medicine to my treatment protocol this week and thought it might be a good idea to write a bit more about my experience so far. Maybe it will help someone else who's thinking of starting it also.

A couple of weeks ago a research abstract was posted on the CFSresearch list about a herbal treatment with Radix Pseudostellariae aka PRP aka Tai Zi Shen aka Prince's Ginseng.

Below the abstract that was posted.
-----------------------------
[start abstract]
Evid Based Complement Alternat Med.. [Epub ahead of print]
Polysaccharide of Radix Pseudostellariae Improves Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Induced by Poly I:C in Mice.

Sheng R, Xu X, Tang Q, Bian D, Li Y, Qian C, He X, Gao X, Pan R, Wang C, Luo Y, Xia Y, Dai Y.

Department of Pharmacology of Chinese Materia Medica, China
Pharmaceutical University, 24 Tong Jia Xiang Road, Nanjing 210009,
China, yuedaicpu@hotmail.com.

Radix Pseudostellariae is used as a tonic drug in traditional Chinese medicine with immunomodulating and anti-fatigue activities, and the polysaccharide is considered as the main active component.

The purpose of this study is to examine the effect of the polysaccharide isolated from Radix Pseudostellariae (PRP) on mouse chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) induced by intraperitoneal injection of polyriboinosinic:polyribocytidylic acid (poly I:C), a double-stranded synthetic RNA.

It has shown that the fatigue symptom of mice lasted at least 1 week as evaluated by forced swimming time. PRP (100, 200, 400 mg kg(-1)), orally administered 3 days before poly I:C injection, showed dose-dependent anti-fatigue effects.

In addition, poly I:C led to evident alternations in neuroendocrine and immune systems of mice, such as reduced spontaneous activity and learning ability, declined serum level of corticosterone, increased weight indexes and T lymphocyte numbers in thymuses and spleens, and increased CD4(+)/CD8(+) ratio but decreased proliferation ability of T lymphocytes in spleens.

PRP alleviated the abnormalities caused by poly I:C, and restored the function of hosts to normal conditions. The findings suggest that PRP is beneficial to CFS, and the underlying
[end abstract]
----------------------------

These are the properties of Tai Zi Shen:
Chinese Name: Tai Zi Shen
English Name: Pseudostellaria
Taste Properties: Bitter (Ku), Neutral (Ping), Sweet (Gan)



According to the info from Plum Flower brand of Tai Zi Shen:
[quote]Pseudostellaria is an important herb that helps people recover from chronic illness, especially illness that damages the body fluids.

Scientific research shows that Pseudostellaria to aid in protecting the mucin layer that lines the respiratory tract and functions as an immune defense system.

Additionally, Pseudostellaria is very effective in combating neurasthenia – fatigue, lack of appetite and inability to concentrate. Because of its ability to strengthen the immune system and nourish body fluids, it is a helpful herb for the debilitating aspects of allergies.

Strengthens Spleen and benefits the Qi – fatigue and lack of appetite. Generates fluids – thirst and injury to fluids after a Heat disease [unremitting fevers]. Increases generation of saliva. Tonifies Lung deficiency - cough.[end quote]
-----------------------------

All sounded very interesting and I thought it was worth a try. I never came across a Chinese herb that sounded more fitted for ME/CFIDS than this one. At least for _my_ ME. I consulted my friend, excellent acupuncturist and herbalist C. to ask his opinion and to see if he could locate the Tai Zi Shen for me if he thought it would fit my constitution. The Tai Zi Shen was quickly found and ordered, which was interesting to me as so many other people on the CFSresearch list had trouble locating the herb. I guess if you go to the right source it _is_ available. ;-)

Funny thing about the Tai Zi Shen or Prince's Ginseng is that it is called that way but is in fact not a Ginseng at all according to Naturopathydigest.com.
And I again quote:
[quote] What is pseudostellaria?
Pseudostellaria is the name given to a type of plant that is often mistaken for ginseng, and is sometimes called "prince's ginseng." It grows throughout most of central China, including the Hebei, Liaoning, Jiangsu, Jiangxi and Hubei provinces.

Pseudostellaria roots are between two and four inches long, yellowish-white in appearance, and somewhat horn-shaped. The roots are used in herbal remedies, and contain a wealth of chemicals and essential elements, including copper, zinc, selenium, and more than a dozen amino acids.[end quote]


Pseudostellaria


Pseudostellaria dried

Here is the way I use it:
Put about 30 grams in a stainless steel or glass cooking device with 1 liter water.
Let it soak for 1 hour.
Than simmer for 1 hour.
Pour through strainer in a mason jar or other jar and when cooled keep in fridge.

This is what it looks like:






And a close up.... notice they look like maggots ;-)
 
C. said it would taste like mint tea. Yeah right ;-) Maybe when you have a vivid imagination it does ;-) To be honest I had to get used to the taste, it has a slight bitter after taste that gave me goose bumps ;-) But I noticed that if you warm it up a little bit it is way less and I actually enjoy it now. When I drink a cup I try to imagine how healing and helpful this herbal liquid is and how it will improve my well being.

I have noticed a slight improvement in mental clarity, I'm still very fatigued and exhausted but can now actually rest and sleep longer. That's a major issue for me. Edema in my legs is less and I have to pee more. ;-)
It's still too early to see real benefits, it's only 4 days since I started the herbs so we need some more time to see real changes. Again the most important thing is that I have no negative effects and that was always the case with any other thing I tried.

Will keep posting on how I'm doing with the Prince's Ginseng that isn’t a Ginseng. ;-)

Tomorrow a bit more about the topicals and my second round of injections!

# # #

(0) Comments